…I’m more like 1 in 74,611,054. It’s true. I did the math using 2006 U.S. population statistics (because I am SUCH a stickler for detail and accuracy). Don’t believe me? Check out this pretty cool gizmo–
- There are 359,962 people in the U.S. with the first name Robin (I know 3 of them and interestingly I don’t know ANY children with "Robin" for a first or middle name).
- Statistically the 160th most popular first name (I wonder what the 159 more popular names are).
86.67 percent of people with the first name Robin are female (Anyone else thinking The Boy Wonder?).
- There are 3,630 people in the U.S. with the last name _________ (yeah, like I’d give THAT up…it’s about the ONLY thing I don’t post here….:/).
- Statistically the 9069th most popular last name (tied with 101 other last names) (I DON’T wonder what the other 9,068 more popular last names are).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Kidding aside, I have NEVER liked my first name. NEVAH. It wasn’t just because of the tired and predictable "Where’s Batman?" or Robinhood jokes in grade school. Or heaven forbid, I almost forgot–probably out of repression–the "red BREAST" jokes! Those had ME turning red (my CHEEKS not my breast, thank yew very much…!).
"Robin" isn’t a mysterious or exotic or exciting or pretty name…. It’s like white bread and water…nothing really wrong with it, it serves a purpose, but you aren’t just dyin’ to have it, either.
In the 1960s, the decade I was born, "Robin" was ranked 34th in popularity; in the 70s, it had dropped to 68th; by the 80s, it landed at 130th, 90s, 325th. Since the turn of the century, it has settled at 847th. See the downward trend? In the next decade, it’ll fall off the charts completely! Incidentally, after curiosity compelled me to check out the 50s, I realized the decade my parents chose this name was the time frame the name "Robin" was at its popularity zenith. Hmmmm…
Through the years I’ve often mused what I would name myself. During the tween into teen years, "Tiffany", "Amber" and "Nicole" led the pack. My twenties I had "more mature" androgynous leanings–"Jordan", "Morgan", "Taylor", "Madison".
Wanna know what name I’d pick today? I think today it would be Gabrielle.
G a b r i e l l e. Feel how it just rolls off your tongue? Gabrielle is mysterious and exotic and exciting and pretty. Delightful nicknames can be derived from it…Gabby or Brie or Elle. What the heck nickname can you get from "Robin"–Robs? Roberta? Robsicle?? (yes, I have been called all three).
What about you? Have you ever wanted to change your name? If so, do share, I’d love to know I’m not the only one…:/.
HT to Claudia for this fun little quiz :). When I began, I sure didn’t plan on writing an entire post around it…that’s bloggin’ for ya!