- Car battery DEAD! Resourceful hubby runs out to buy a new one, it puts us only an hour behind. No tempers lost, a mini-miracle :).
- Huey’s Restaurant is CLOSED! Oh, the DISAPPOINTMENT! No beignets? Tears commence.
- Stumbled across The Majestic Diner, serving Atlantans for decades. A kitschy little breakfast spot–a smokin’ omelet and decent crispy hashbrowns, but no beignets. S i g h.
- 15-year-old daughter drives about three hours; no wonder I got lost reading Twilight…I NEEDED the distraction!
- Stopped at Freshfields’ Newton Farms for a manic grocery experience. BEST salsa on the planet–and you can tell by the price tag they’re p r o u d of it. And yet, we’ll eat our weight in it this week. That, and their chicken salad and shrimp salad. This does NOT bode well for donning a bathing suit later on…!
- Driving to our condo, we passed a mother deer and her fawn! (Kiawah is not commercialized, heavily forrested with natural vegetation.) The little fella STILL had spots, not much bigger than a Jack Russell. I stopped to look at it. The car behind me honked. I did not have nice words to say about the car behind me.
- First visit to the beach was after sunset. Storms loomed in the distance, the wind whipped as furiously as the waves. Lightening streaks and illumination behind clouds is just as spectacular as the fireworks show we’ll see on the Fourth.
- Wi-fi courtesy of our neighbors :).
Can you tell? I love the beach. And, Kiawah in particular.
Wish I could have been there to see that storm. It sounds magnificent!!
Enjoy your beach.
Oh boy, am I happy to have stumbled upon your blog! We have a lot in common–Kiawah, for one, and a new driver for two. My dear daughter will get her license when she returns from Costa Rica this week. EEEEKK!!
Love, love, love the market at Fresh Fields. How on earth do they get away with charging those prices, though?! (Don’t answer that.) Hope you’re having fun!
oh lordy she’s driving? and yes, twilight makes a GREAT distraction.
Regardless of the setbacks, it sounds like a great time. 😉 I remember when my parents used to let me drive a little too. Ah, good times.
Mmmm…the Atlantic, storms to light the sky.
We were in Charleston last 4th of July-on a sailboat in the Harbor. Fireworks 360. Best ever.
*sniff* I miss it!
Have a great time!!
We were just there this morning and sad too about Huey’s!!!
Oh, only 2 more weeks and I’ll be at the beach too! I can’t wait!!
I’m not sure why my email isn’t showing at my blog, but here it is, She Speaks sistah 🙂
Now you can tell me what’s going on!
Oooh! I’m so totally stealing this format for blogging my trip to Maine in August. Brilliant.
Glad you’re having fun. Keep the updates coming! 🙂
I, too am on vacation this week. Isn’t it great! A change of scenery, new sights and smells and tastes. Fun times just relaxing with friends and family. AAHHH!
Oh, I am interested in the info you shared with me on my blog. My e-mail address is:
Sigh. I love the beach. I’m always there in spirit. Enjoy!
Aaahhhhhh vacation – enjoy!
Eve, we had another last night…it was better (brought rain) and worse (we weren’t able to be out watching lightening).
Shelley, Glad you found the ol’ PENSIEVE, too!
And yeah, Freshfields gets away with (close to) murder…what are you gonna do? With gas prices sky high, proximity is EVERYTHING. We discovered local produce stands–THERE you can get a bargain in comparision, and fresh? Can store bought compare to just picked??
Janet, y e s, she is (shivers!) and you’ve read “Twilight”? I’m LOVIN’ it!
Chili, must not’ve been too long ago if you can still remember ;).
Headless Mom, now THAT’S a vantage point I’ve never shared…but this year? We’ll be on the beach, pretty good ambiance if you ask me!
Lora, what were y’all doin’ in Hotlanta??
Beth, maybe I just missed it?? (Thanks)
dcrmom, you’re going to Maine? Cool!
Sonya, since we’ve been vacationing here for 15 years, the sights, scents and tastes are familiar, just once-a-year dealies. And OH SO MARVELOUS, too :). Hope you’re havin’ a blast!!
Hulagirl, we’re exactly the same that way. I get here and I do NOT wanna leave.
Kelly, yes ma’am!! 🙂
I’m jealous! 🙂 We visited Kiawah about 6 years ago and it was one of the best vacations! Have a great time.
Oh, the local produce stands! Ahhh! And how about the fresh shrimp? We always stop at the stand just outside the gate there and get fresh shrimp–boil it up with some Old Bay, crack open a nice bottle of wine and you’re good to go. Nothing better in the whole world! Enjoy!
Glad you enjoyed Kiawah! I may be prejudiced, but I think it is one of THE COOLEST places on the planet. When you are not @Isle you can see a little piece of Kiawah every day by visiting http://www.WelcomeToKiawah.com, the island’s community web site. If folks are getting ready to visit Kiawah, there is a Things To Do Off-island section, links to articles about Kiawah, and so on.
Glad you enjoyed your visit to paradise!
Huey’s closed as in permanently? That’s my neck of the woods. I had no idea.
oh i love local produce….and the beach 🙂