In Julie & Julia
- Meryl Streep delivers an engaging, statuesque, delicious performance in her lead role as Julia Child; her Golden Globe win affirms what we already know (and knocks on Oscar's door)
- It's a movie, at the end of the day, that celebrates the impact of blogging (though Amy Adams' Julie Powell storyline grated my nerves like she grated cheese)
- It venerates marriage in the sweetest of ways. Who would've imagined that Stanley Tucci could pull off a convincing lovable, sexy, romantic lead? His Paul Child characterization was among the most endearing silver screen husbands I can recall.
- Butter & boeuf à la bour?gui?gnonne…although the latter is impossible to pronounce.
- Nora Ephron.
Agree? Disagree? I'd love to hear you chime in.
Revised after the Golden Globes closed the book on 2009.
Best acceptance speech of the night (I know this in spite of watching only about an hour of the show)(& makes me curious about a movie I hadn't even heard about):
Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Makes me think Golden Globe voters are wicked schmart (in addition to Streep's win):
- Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Animated Feature Film
Makes me think Golden Globe voters are idiots (I feel the rotten tomatoes aiming fire!):
Motion Picture, Drama
Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical
(Yes, I saw it after squillions of people I know told me it was hilarious…and I watched the entire movie with my head cocked to the side the way a dog does when he hears a funny noise waiting for the humor to arrive. I was less than impressed. And this time? I don't care if you judge me ;).)